nanog mailing list archives

Re: Traffic Engineering (fwd)

From: Michael Dillon <michael () priori net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 11:45:05 -0700

map-exchanging scheme), three huge churny databases
(the mapping of information to URL, the mapping of
hostname to IP address and the mapping of IP addresses to
paths)

Just for the record, I *was* kidding.  I don't actually think I have the time
or expertise to make it work.  However, I think the idea is worth looking at.
Two of the "three huge churny databases" (info to URL, url to IP) already are
in place, and I bet the overhead involved in an un-cached IP lookup is a lot
more than that of an SPF walk through a BGP tree.

Some people already have a database of IP address to path that is used to
more effectively route traffic from caching proxy hierarchies over multiple
international connections.

Michael Dillon                    voice: +1-650-482-2840
Senior Systems Architect            fax: +1-650-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.              http://www.priori.net

"The People You Know.  The People You Trust."