nanog mailing list archives

Re: Traffic Engineering

From: Gordon Cook <cook () netaxs com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 08:04:30 -0400 (EDT)

well if I may stick my two cents in from a rainy russian sankt
peterburg, I disagree.  Sure the majority of my traffic is not local and I
do business with my newsletter all over the world/  But I will not be
entirely happy with the internet until i have  a locally usable conncetion
to my township city hall where I and my fellow citizens can debate local
politics. I want the same connection to my local school board and internet
using teachers.  the same to my county commissioners and my state
legislature.  I want email to the local library and use of its web site.
I want access to local transportation schedules and local businesses and
restaurant menus.  and yes maybe even to the local pizza parlor.   as long
as we live in **physical places** and pay taxes to local governments, the
internet will not make local geography entirely irrelevant.

I cannot predict exact percentages but I know with certainty there is a
LOT of local communication the *I* would like to do that I cannot.
Given an increase in the density of local users  local traffic will surely
increase.

The COOK Report on Internet               For subsc. pricing & more than
431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA     ten megabytes of free material
(609) 882-2572 (phone & fax)              visit   http://cookreport.com/
Internet: cook () cookreport com             New Special Report: Internet
Governance at the Crossroads ($175)  http://cookreport.com/inetgov.shtml