nanog mailing list archives

Re: FBI calls for mandatory key escrow; Denning on export ctrls

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () scfn thpl lib fl us>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 10:37:51 -0400

On Thu, Sep 04, 1997 at 09:23:49AM -0400, Selina F. Priestley wrote:
Let's turn this into a useful conversation:  If we do not believe that getting
a backdoor to our keys is a useful way to insure security on the network, maybe
isn't even addressing the root issues, then

Nope, it's not.  "Ensuring security" implies making certain that _no
one_ can get copies of the keys; the entire thesis is shot down by
key-escrow.

What *are* the real issues with security on the network?  How should we work to
address these issues, both at the network and application layers?  How will this
solve the 'child porn problem'?  What are the barriers involved in any proposed
solutions?

The real issue _here_ is that the government _does not want_ us to
operate 'secure' networks... because then _they_ can't look at the
traffic.  (CALEA notwithstanding)  Oh, and BTW: in light of CALEA, why
do they _care_ if they can crack the code?  We're required to help them
tap the cleartext anyway... (at least, for _network imposed_ encryption).

How can we trace criminals/spam artists/hackers easily and hand them over to
the feds w/o handing over our rights as well?

Short answer: we can't.

If we don't have any answers to these questions, and plans for getting there,
then we might as well quit our bitching.

As Clancy once put it: you can be a policeman of a soldier... but not
both.

Are we network operators, or cops?

I think we've probably reached the end of the "useful operational
content" in this thread... unless anyone has a "this is what _we_ did"
story.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
The Suncoast Freenet      "People propose, science studies, technology