nanog mailing list archives

Re: ATM (was Re: too many routes

From: Richard Irving <rirving () onecall net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 11:43:10 -0400

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Vadim Antonov wrote:

Actually, 4000 miles is a very reasonable estimate for a cross-country

path physical length.  That's why i took it as such without much
arguments.

 I am thinking it may be, we are getting together timings, and people
are reporting the runs. The calculations are getting lower as we go.
It is starting to look 30 ish. I agree this is not as significant as
I thought it was going to be.... However, it is interesting to close in
on. ;)

     This implies that 39% of the actual timing is overhead.

Hey, did you ever measure delay on a real cross-country fiber?
Did you compare that with pings between attached routers?
(Hint: i used to work for a long distance carrier).

 I do. And have for a while. That doesn't mean anything one way or
another.

Why don't we knock off the I am , I was, and I will be's and lets get
the
answer from data coming in. ;) This thread has been joined by some
rather
interesting people. All of which humble me, to be sure. (not that it is
difficult thing ;)

 The interesting thing is, most of these people are interested enough,
that the data is coming in... I suspect, we may be able to
get to a "reasonably" accurate ratio, but it should be interesting.

 Aren't you curious ?
 Or, do you have current data ? If so , post it.

74 ms you quoted is actally a nice RTT, for a loaded network
particularly.  The first SprintLink's DS-3 between DC and
Stockton, CA had 80 ms (that's clearline, w/o any routers in the

  We have one down into the mid 60's now. Check the archive.

Now, would you care to explain how 0.3ms delay per router can
make things worse, considering that the average number of
_backbone_ hops for inter-provider trace is about 6?

 At each juncture , layer 3, exists an opportunity for routing
interaction. This is "for better" or "for worse". The better, is not
what
I am concerned with....

 If indeed a router, participating in full tables, only introduces .3 ms

delay, on a median, then the market bodes well.. But, I am
concerned with the "distribution of the curve" so to speak. How -wide-
is
it.... How do we narrow it ?

--vadim