nanog mailing list archives

Re: Geographic v. topological address allocation

From: "Sean M. Doran" <smd () clock org>
Date: 23 Nov 1997 11:48:11 -0500

Vadim Antonov <avg () pluris com> writes:

Sean Doran wrote:

As tli pointed out the top of the hierarchy is not
arbitrary, it must be default free.

Sorry for the nitpicking, but this definition has at least two
flaws:

a) there's a bi-partite backbone configuration, where each half
   has default pointing to the other half.  Both do not have to
   carry full routes.  (Of course, this scheme has problems with
   packets destined to the blue, or can be extended to more than
   two partitions).

In effect, this entails the synthesis by equivalent areas
of a superior level into which each party can default.
I touched on this briefly in my previous message.

With variable length addressing this kind of joint
level-n-plus-one synthesis is easy; the new area simply
encompasses sufficient bits to distinguish each
level-n/level-n-plus-one IS participating in it.

b) multihomed non-transit networks may want to be default-free
   and carry full routing to improve load sharing of outgoing
   traffic.  Since they are non-transit, they cannot be considered
   "top of hierarchy".

Yes, I believe I also mentioned Yakov's "pull" (did you see his
slides at the IETF (and NANOG?) with which he presented
his push/pull definitions?) can be used to optimize
routing when strict hierarchical routing is inefficient.

Bingo.

We are in sync, Vadim.  Surprise surprise.

        Sean.

P.S.:

Note that IXPs are not "top" of the hierarchy, but just
aggregators for essentially point-to-point links between
tier-1 backbones.

This is a good way of putting it.  I will steal it and use
it myself from time to time.