nanog mailing list archives

Re: Shutdown of lists on May 30th at 12:01 AM

From: Simon Higgs <simon () higgs com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 12:26:42 -0700

At 10:44 AM -0400 5/29/97, Philip J. Nesser II wrote:

Paul can certainly speak for himself, but I think the issue that most
people (myself included) have is that these people refuse to work within
the IETF process.  If they want to change things and follow the procedure
that everyone else has used for years then great, let them try and convince
people of the validity of their ideas.

The IETF seem to think it's a policy issue and not a technical issue.

I presented a draft at the San Jose IETF at the newdom BOF. It's a
credible plan that includes the IAHC shared-tld plan, but balances the
issues in the overall namespace. It could save a small fortune that
would otherwise be spent on litigation by domain name holders.

But guess what happened? The IAHC, comprising mainly of lawyers,
started their one-way discussion, and as a result started increasing
the billable hours to the legal profession.

Watch. Cringe. There are consequences. But, of course, I'm just
repeating myself (again).

Best Regards,

Simon Higgs
President/CEO