nanog mailing list archives

Re: UUNET Pulling Peering Agreements & replacing them with charging under non-disclosure?

From: Larry_Vaden () texoma net
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 21:03:52 -0500

At 10:42 AM 5/2/97 -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:

Trying to extort money to peer is exactly that - extortion.

Karl Denninger (karl () MCS Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity

I asked our telecommunications attorney, who bats 1000 in such matters,
about the issues involved.  His reply:

The action is probably anticompetitive.  The problem is that the anti-trust
laws are so hard, costly and time-consuming to enforce in civil matters,
and for criminal you must get the state or federal authorities interested.

To obtain relief you have to show intent and ability to monopolize.  This
is not a price squeeze -- to the contrary.  You have to show concerted
action.  Market power.  Damages.

Notwithstanding my statement above about the authorities, I'd recommend all
who are concerned go to the justice department and seek an investigation.
That or even the threat often mitigates behavior.

Larry Vaden, founder and CEO                       help-desk 903-813-4500
Internet Texoma, Inc. <http://www.texoma.net>    direct line 903-870-0365
bringing the real Internet to rural Texomaland           fax 903-868-8551
Member of TISPA and ISP/C                              pager 903-867-6571