nanog mailing list archives

Re: NAP building

From: "Neil J. McRae" <neil () domino org>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 09:20:07 +0100 (BST)

In a previous message Neil J. McRae wrote:

Make sure it isn't Telehouse though! Someone at Telehouse London pressed
the wrong button and took out the entire power to the south side of
the building, nearly ever ISP in the UK, and the LINX too, was knocked
out for around 45 minutes today.

Sorry, only UK ISPs that are careless enough to route *all* their International
connectivity thru Telehouse were "knocked out" - We, and various others ONLY
lost connectivity to those customers with a single line to our equipment
in Telehouse.
UK->UK traffic (to those other ISPs that survived) just re-routed
through Stockholm, Amsterdam, USA etc etc etc

OK Richard, All ISP's where affected then, the point is Telehouse is a disaster
zone and there is way too much UK [and European too] traffic passing through,
the bulding.

Sorry, Telehouse has a *much* better power record than most places I know -
some of the US mae's dont even have mains backup supply.

Well you are a nutcase for plugging into a MAE ;)

THe point is Telehouse claim this mondo wonderful power resiliance and its
just not true.

FYI: I was standing in the 1st floor ops room and watched everything go off,
YES THATS RIGHT! The management system that Telehouse use went off too!
so they didn't have a clue where the fault was! [eggs basket one springs to
mind].

Cheers,
Neil.
--
Neil J. McRae - Alive and Kicking.                            D O M I N O
neil () DOMINO ORG       NetBSD/sparc - 100% SpF (Solaris protection Factor)