nanog mailing list archives

Re: Domain Rant.

From: "Philip J. Nesser II" <pjnesser () martigny ai mit edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 13:47:29 -0500 (EST)

Paul A Vixie supposedly said:

Someone else said:
It is quite possible for everyone to maintain ".". Then, there would be no
need for root domain servers; HOWEVER, this would take massive cooperation
throughout the industy, which will never happen.

I said "one authority".  That means "one definition of its content".  Sure,
if everybody in the industry could agree on all changes, even minor little
"add an NS" or "change an NS" changes, then they could all run "." as primary
masters.  But there would still be only one authority.

I have an excellent idea.  If we can all work together like this, why don't
we just put all the hostnames and IP addresses, and all sorts of other info
in a flat file that people could get off of a common ftp (or web) site.  We
could call such a file HOSTS.TXT.  I think it could work...

:-)

--->  Phil