nanog mailing list archives

Re: Non-ISP companies multi-homing?

From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk () priori net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 16:49:29 -0700

On Jul 24, Gordon Mercer <gmercer () dn net> wrote:

I think I see where the miscommunication lies. We were
discussing ISP's running IBGP sessions with multi-homed
customers. giving you the ability to announce routes to
another provider tagged with my AS is what makes me
nervous.

        Hmm.  I could /maybe/ see allowing that as a seperate
        IBGP community, but even then it's dangerous.

        It's easy to get an ASN (even though it takes a while;
        I think the 'NIC still does those manually), so there's
        really no reason not to require multi-homed customers
        to do so if they want to talk BGP with you.

        But, seperate real ASN or seperate community, you'll
        still want to filter incoming announcements from the
        customer -- just as they'd probably want to filter
        announcements from you.

J.D. Falk                         voice: +1-415-482-2840
Supervisor, Network Operations      fax: +1-415-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.              http://www.priori.net
     "The People You Know.  The People You Trust."