nanog mailing list archives

Re: Non-ISP companies multi-homing?

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () scfn thpl lib fl us>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 20:59:29 -0400

On Wed, Jul 23, 1997 at 05:04:29PM -0700, Mark Bixby wrote:
netops writes:
Does anyone know of any non-ISP companies that have decided to
multi-home? Is this a major trend for non-ISP companies running
mission-critical applications on the Internet?

We will be going multi-homed in about 2 weeks because the state of California
has mandated that all community colleges sign up with 4C.net, but we don't
want to give up our existing CERF.net connection.

Here's an interesting question: is it considered multi-homing to have
connections between an internal backbone and a commercial provider's
backbone in more than one location -- if it's the same commercial
provider?

I have in mind, particularly, people like HP.

My instincts tell me that it probably is, but I wonder what the routing
management differences might be.

Cheers,
-- jr 'if this is off-topic, reply off-list' a
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
The Suncoast Freenet      "People propose, science studies, technology