nanog mailing list archives

Re: Another UUNET Explanation

From: Wolfgang Henke <wolfgang () whnet com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 07:07:03 -0700

Well sorry for the "delay" but I was in Paris for
some time ...
OK .. "delay" IS THE ISSUE!
Voice over IP ... etc can not take the long delay
times that ATM and Frame Relay may inccure.
It's the same reason high earth orbit sat comm is not
good for that type of communication. ........
The "delay" of my exported X based Mailtool over a 64K
line between the US and Netherlands is driving me crazy!

Here are some approximate light speed latencies:

silicon valley  to  Chicago         40 milliseconds
silicon valley  to  East Coast      60 milliseconds
East Coast      to  Europe         110 milliseconds
Via geostationary satellite        260 milliseconds

Wolfgang

http://www.whnet.com