nanog mailing list archives

Re: True Peers, Near Peers, Pseudo Peers, and Bandwidth Resellers

From: Nathan Stratton <nathan () netrail net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 15:26:01 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Rod Nayfield wrote:

Agreed.  To sum it up:

It seems that the general use of 'tiers' is based on who carries a
network's IP traffic.
.A first tier provider does not purchase transit from anyone

Purchase, or exchange. I.E. I was getting some transit from a customer,
but I did not pay for it. So to be a first tier your routes must only be
announced by you, and no other AS. I am not sure if CIX should count or
not. Netrail was using CIX to get to 1 provider that was not peering, we
now have peering with them, and are going to kill our CIX connection. I am
not sure if this should count as being a tier one or not. It soon will
not be a issue because MCI, UUNET, ANS, Sprint, Netrail and others are
pulling from CIX.

.A second tier provider buys from a first tier

Yes, but they also may have NAP connection, and may even have a nationwide
backbone. There are many second tier providers who have nationwide DS3
networks, and peer at many naps, but still have a small amount of transit
to get to places they can't get peering setup with. Most of them want to
be first tier, but should not be counted.

.A third tier provider buys from a second tier provider and so on...

generally there are a few first tiers who peer at many locations and many
second tiers who are at one or two IXs and have a transit agreement, and
zillions of people who buy T1s and T3s and resell.

Nathan Stratton                                President, NetRail,Inc.
Phone   (888)NetRail                           NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (404)522-1939                          230 Peachtree Suite 500
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Atlanta, GA 30303
"No king is saved by the size of his army; no warrior escapes by his
great strength.                                        - Psalm 33:16