nanog mailing list archives

Re: BOOM! there goes WorldCom

From: Paul Trotter <ptrotter () ny ubs com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 08:31:59 -0400

I did have a fiber break in the street Manhatten due to a "steam leak".
Took out 48 strands.

Paul

Perry E. Metzger wrote:

Scott Yoneyama writes:
that took out the entire northwest for 8 hours.  The guy was 600 yards
away from where his permit allowed him to dig.  He stopped when he cut
the fiber and shut his hoe down.  When they got out there, they found
that he was digging right next to train tracks, was inches from cutting
a high voltage power line that surely would have killed him, and was
also fairly close to a gas line.

Here in Manhattan, we don't get lines cut by digging, for obvious
reasons.

On the other hand, most places don't have to worry about cladding
fiber to resist rats...

Perry

--

 Paul Trotter                   299 Park Avenue