nanog mailing list archives

Re: peering charges?

From: Jun (John) Wu <jun () wolfox gsl net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 14:50:36 -0500 (EST)

===== Jeff Young previously wrote: ====

if internetMCI decides that we should or should not peer with
another network the decision is made purely on traffic flows.
if coast to coast traffic moves over our network twice between
ourselves and the peer, that's not a peer.  if the peer has a
number of nap connections and a ds3 ld packet network, that's a peer.

Definitely 100% agree. Now think further, a global network with local
peers all over the place... hmm... how much international bandwidth
that might cost?

the practice that you refer to as 'unwise' keeps us from losing
our shirts in an already-too-competitive marketplace.

Underware as well if you think globally.

Jun
--
Jun (John) Wu                              | Voice: (703)689-5325
Supervisor - Global IP Systems & Services  | Fax:   (703)478-7852