nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNS contamination

From: Marc Slemko <marcs () znep com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 17:50:17 -0700 (MST)

And, of possibly more importance to more people, is when people start
claiming bogus authority for the reverse of a /8.  For example, last week
someone was claiming authority for 205.in-addr.arpa and 204.in-addr.arpa
instead of for their appropriate /24s.  A good quarter of the servers I
checked had at least one of these bogus records, rendering reverse lookups
for 204 and/or 205 non-functional and messing up anything that relys on
reverse DNS working.

I think this is a big deal when it happens, especially for the people
using the address space it affects.  Am I overreacting?

If the server admin is unreachable, I think the provider should attempt
contact and, if necessary, perhaps even filter the server.  Most providers
seem to have a "oh, that's bad.  We'll get to it in a day or two"
attitude.  I tend to consider it a serious operational problem that needs
to be fixed ASAP.