nanog mailing list archives

Re: Thanks to all--medical emergency under control

From: jon () branch net (Jon Zeeff)
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 09:58:20 -0500 (EST)

I'd like to point out that such things can be an invasion of privacy.
While person A might claim that person B threatened to commit suicide,
it is possible that person A wants to locate person B for other,
not so good reasons.

This will happen if all one has to say is "suicide" and everyone will
ignore their normal privacy policies.

Thanks to everyone who responded.  I was eventually able to reach one of
the providers, who was able to identify the callers through logs, and
passed the information to the local emergency people.  The patient is now
under treatment, and did not take a lethal dose.

I'd just like to point out the similarity between this event and the use
of the phone company to track down suicide callers. This reminds me of