nanog mailing list archives

Re: ICMP Attacks???????

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry () piermont com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 15:03:24 -0400

Josh Beck writes:
      I think it's critical that routers be capable of logging the
hardware addresses of ICMP, along with source addresses, so that these
attacks can be traced across shared media at exchanges.

ICMP is only one of a dozen ways to attack people. There is no point
in specially targetting ICMP.

Unfortunately, it is, in practice, impossible to log ALL the traffic
across a very busy router at an exchange point.

In my opinion, the only long term solution here is software that is
"smart" about tracebacks -- that is, can be directed in real time to
log certain classes of traffic.

Perry