nanog mailing list archives

Re: Loadsa ICMP...

From: Jon Green <jcgreen () netins net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 15:12:51 -0500

On Wed, 13 Aug 1997 14:40:05 -0500, ed () texas net writes:

      realize here that doubling (or tripling, or quadrupling) the
CPU power of the cisco will not help.  Upgrading from an rsp2 to an
rsp4 would buy you about 3 times 3.5Kpps, say around 10Kpps, process
switched.  That's still hardly enough to save you when you're being
smurfed.

That's my point.  The answer is to get rid of the concept of an
RSP completely.  A box with a central CPU is never going to scale as well
as a distributed processor design no matter how many MHz you throw at it.

There ARE vendors that have such designs (and have had such designs for about
the past 5 years or so..)

While admittedly I (strongly) dislike Cisco, it is in the best interest of the
entire Internet to see them build a better box.  With 80% of the routers
in the Internet being Cisco, these types of DoS attacks make me a bit
nervous about our future when the infrastructure is built on what
is IMHO a non-scalable architecture.

-Jon

    *      Jon Green            *         "Life's a dance             *
   *   jcgreen () netINS net       *          you learn as you go"        *
  *  Finger for Geek Code/PGP   *                                       *
 *  #include "std_disclaimer.h" * http://www.netins.net/showcase/jcgreen *