nanog mailing list archives

Re: Best way to deal with bad advertisements?

From: Avi Freedman <freedman () netaxs com>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 15:04:24 -0400 (EDT)

We got hit by some guys from Poland (which made them uncontactable
by phone).

Try this:

* Continue to advertise your /16s
* Advertise more specifics of only the routes from the closest
  AS to the trouble. Ensure they also filter the bad routes
  as do all the AS's between that and the customer.
* If anyone filters the more specifics, you will be *fine*
  as they will also be filtering the bogon more-specifics,
  but will still hear your /16s.

Ah, true :)

I knew there was a reason we were fine just announcing matching
more specifics.

* Take the AS path to the bogon route. Complain to
  those in the AS path in reverse order, till you get
  to someone default free. You might also want to enlist
  the help of your upstream.

Alex Bligh
Xara Networks

Avi