nanog mailing list archives

Re: Advice on dealing with Sprint

From: "Neil J. McRae" <neil () EASYNET NET>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 19:05:38 +0100

On Thu, 26 Sep 1996 13:37:00 -0400
 "Perry E. Metzger" <perry () piermont com> alleged:

Not, you understand, that I think the global routing table should be
kept in control, but I find it to be extraordinarily annoying that in
a world where cheap PCs have been able to take 128meg on their
motherboards for years (indeed, many can take far more!) and in which
workstations frequently have 64M of memory in them, there are routers
(many still sold!) which lack the slots to take more than 32M of
memory.

Its insane, I use BSD based routers and  have little problems, I can
take up to 1 gig of memory in my routers...

I'm about to install 2 NetBSD routers to peer on the LINX, and
I'm hoping for the same uptimes for my NetBSD core routers:

NetBSD defender.router.EASYNET.NET 1.2_BETA NetBSD 1.2_BETA (ROUTER) #2: Sat Jul 13 03:25:14 BST 1996     neil ()
defender router easynet co uk:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/ROUTER i386
 6:55PM  up 73 days,  6:17, 2 users, load averages: 0.06, 0.08, 0.08
GateD-defender.router.EASYNET.NET> show ip route
100 IP radix tree: 81032 nodes, 41812 routes

This router handles our internal BGP4 to our 3 border routers, and carries
a full routeing table, and will handle updates for the LINX.

"It works." If only more people would try it. :(

Regards,
Neil.
--
Neil J. McRae. Alive and Kicking.          E A S Y N E T  G R O U P  P L C
neil () EASYNET NET        NetBSD/sparc: 100% SpF (Solaris protection Factor)