nanog mailing list archives

Re: The SWAMP

From: jon () branch com (Jon Zeeff)
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 09:19:15 -0400 (EDT)

I believe, in a limited case like this, the scarce resource is all
the time it takes many people to put in an exception for this and
the additional unreliability that exceptions cause.

A few extra routes or a few extra addresses are insignificant.

If there has to be a separate route for each one anyway, why not just
blow 253*10 addresses and announce a /24 for each root name server, even
if only one IP out of each /24 is used?

Less CPU to blow holes in filters that normally deny > /24.

Avi

How far does this get extended, then? What if, to encourage aggregation,
/24s start to be filtered? Do you then blow a /23? A /22? I guess the real
question is how do you balance between two scarce resources, router CPU and
IPv4 address space.

-BD