nanog mailing list archives

Fast Networks [was Re: Ungodly packet loss rates]

From: "Kent W. England" <kwe () 6SigmaNets com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 12:40:14 -0700

At 06:54 PM 21-10-96 -0700, bmanning () ISI EDU wrote:

      We can build bigger doors (MTU)  but the conveyer belts are stuck
      at 100Mm/sec.  We need faster conveyer belts!

We have them now.

      (waiting for HPPI-64 or G-Ether technologies w/ baited breath :)

No need to wait.
(Oh, and it would be better if your breath were bated rather than baited :-)

      And then watch out 2-4Gbps backplanes... (that is aggregate right?)

--
--bill

There are technologies that already have aggregate throughput of 20+Gbps.

--Kent
speaking as a L2 agnostic and PacBell NAP consultant