nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internet II is coming...

From: "Joseph T. Klein" <jtk () nap net>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 14:40:11 -0500 (CDT)

There is a "perception" of lack of bandwidth. MAE EAST is running at %30
capacity of a 100Mb switched FDDI. Figure there are about 30 providers
each with 45Mb pipe - a bandwidth shortage does not add-up - There are
many other metrics that effect performance besides bandwidth. How does
Internet II solve the other sources of performance problems?

---
Stephen Balbach  "Driving the Internet To Work"
VP, ClarkNet     due to the high volume of mail I receive please quote
info () clark net   the full original message in your reply.

The bandwidth issue IS a problem. If you look closely at the stats
you can see that traffic curves tend to flatten out far below the
theoretical limit. A number of factors that cause this are related
to I/O limits by major peers at the meet points.
--
/*Joseph T. Klein         *    Keep Cool, but Don't Freeze
* NAP.NET, LLC            *