nanog mailing list archives

Re: Registry Operational Requirements

From: Michael Dillon <michael () memra com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 11:23:11 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Jim Fleming wrote:

It now looks like Michael Dillon will take those matters up over
on the "newdom" mailing list. For people that are not allowed
to actively be part of the "newdom" list, the archive is at...
      <http://www.ar.com/lists/newdom>

That's right Jim, because discussions about new international Top Level
Domain registries belong there. Please don't broadcast my writings on the
subject to other forums that they do not belong in.

For the record, it is curious that Michael Dillon continues to ask
Bill Manning about what the "IANA" will do, despite the fact that
Fred Baker, the IETF chair, indicated that Bill Manning's name
was not on a recent list of IANA members.

Hey, it never hurts to ask. IANA people aren't the only ones that know
what is going on. They aren't a secret society you know. They do talk with
a lot of other people and I'm guessing that Bill Manning, a well known
IETF member, is one of those people.

In my opinion, ISPs have the right to know what sort of operational
requirements are being proposed to operate a "registry".

Most ISP's could care less about this because it will have minimal effect
on them. A few may wish to spend some money and take a chance on the
new TLD registry business. Those ISP's can send a "subscribe" message to
newdom-request () ar com and read http://www.memra.com/ndbg.html for
background info.

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael () memra com