nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internic address allocation policy (fwd)

From: "William Allen Simpson" <wsimpson () greendragon com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 96 12:36:57 GMT

From: Bradley Dunn <bradley () dunn org>
I do not know of any organization that would allow internal network information
to be made available to an outside party.  I think this ranks pretty
high up on any security policy.  It would probably not even be possible on
correctly secured network.  And on one that wasn't properly secured, you
would probably hear lots of complaints about scanning or searching that
network.

If the internal network is that "top secret" it should be behind a
firewall and using RFC 1918 space.

Yes.

Last year, when I was scanning the Class A's to determine number of
actually connected hosts, my service provider kept getting complaints
from so-called security folks at the affected companies.

Oh, and I found a lot of routing problems (loops, etc) which are really
aggravated when you hit them 255 times (each address in the range, all
of them looping)....

WSimpson () UMich edu
BSimpson () MorningStar com