nanog mailing list archives

Re: topological closeness....

From: Paul Ferguson <pferguso () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 14:28:16 -0400

At 12:44 AM 5/18/96 +0800, Che-Hoo Cheng wrote:

Yes, they are still a minor aspect but I think they contribute serveral more
percents to the return on investment.  In AP, we have exchange points such
as NSPIXP of Japan and HKIX of Hong Kong.  If ISPs in other AP countries
have links to JP or HK and automatically (or semi-automatically) they can
connect to all ISPs in that country/region instead of just one or several
ISPs in it, the connection is more valuable and justifiable.  If the links
can also be used to connect to other ISPs in other AP countries via that
exchange, the connection is even more valuable and justifiable.  Of course,
we still can't eliminate the links to US altogether.  But we probably can
slow down the growth of bandwidth requirements to US a little bit.

Thanks for mentioning this -- it is exactly what is needed.  :-)

- paul