nanog mailing list archives

topological "closeness" (RE: Web o' Wonder)

From: Mike Trest <trest () atmnet net>
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 10:58:57 -0700

Michael Dillon's Web o' Wonder scenario keys on the ability of smart servers
to do an application level re-direction of load to a topographically more
appropriate server.  Some of our customer's sites are doing a fair job of
this by weighting DNS responses to geographically dispersed sites which,
hopefully, are topographically dispersed.

Seems to me that this scenario would also benefit from a tool and database
that could determine topological "closeness" even if it doesn't need to
generate filter lists.
If this scenario were easier to implement it could reduce the load of the
major exchange points by encouraging traffic to stay closer to the network
periphery.

The CACHE research efforts (see: http://www.nlanr.net and others) indicates
that even greater reductions would be obtained if NSP/ISPs increase use of
caches for www. Individual campus statistics, the NLANR prototypes, and
statistics from CACHE sites deployed internationally suggest that
orders-of-magnitude reductions in external network access [i.e. our backbone
load] could be achieved.

I am implementing a CACHE simply to improve on-net customer satisfaction.  I
expect the operational costs to be much less than the equivilent backbone or
transit costs. If it has a side effect of reducting meet point traffic, then
the entire net benefits.

I wonder, how many nets would implement such as cache if the effect would be
to reduce meet point traffic by orders-of-magnitude?

..mike..
Mike Trest,  ATMNET          Voice:  619 643-1805
5440 Morehouse Drive         Fax:    619 643-1901
San Diego, CA  92121         Pager:  619 960-9070