nanog mailing list archives

Re: Allocation of IP Addresses

From: Dorian Kim <dorian () cic net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 23:39:52 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 13 Mar 1996, David C. Kovar wrote:

  This strikes me as being discriminatory against the smaller ISPs. The
customers are looking for stability and, from their point of view, being
forced to renumber several times along with the ISP is unstable and costly.
They'll look to ISPs who will not force them to renumber, the ones with a
/18 or smaller already.

There always will be disadvantages of being small. This is true in every
market.

  Do you truly believe there is no way to avoid the forced renumbering
problem for the smaller ISPs?

There is no way to avoid renumbering. Every other plausible proposal I've
seen have been renumbering under a different guise.

-dorian