nanog mailing list archives

Re: Allocation of IP Addresses

From: doug () pbi net (Doug Sheppard)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 11:47:03 -0800

Can you grow an infinite amount of additional food?

        Yes, you can. That is how people have been able to eat since
        the beginning of time.

Can you buy more gold than there is on the planet?

        We don't know exactly how much gold there is on the planet.
        That's why we still mine it.

Can you make more land than we have?

        Sure, keep on stacking.

The point of all this debate from what I see is its dangerous to give up an
independent organization which allocates addresses based on need, and go with a
cash-on-delivery method.  Look whats happening with people buying up domain
names just to make a buck reselling them to suckers!  These same people would
attempt to do the same with addresses.

-doug