nanog mailing list archives

Re: Netcom Outage (Was: My InfoWorld Column About NANOG)

From: Paul Ferguson <pferguso () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 20:48:25 -0400

At 06:35 PM 6/21/96 -0400, Stephen Balbach wrote:

Having a fully meshed/redundant network should be the goal of any serious
ISP. The only one that claims it with any substance IMO is UUNET.  We are
trying to build one and its not easy.  Haveing redundant links in place
does not guarantee instant fall over of traffic. Static routes, IGRP,
iBGP, bridgeing, rip1 vs rip2, etc. are some of the issues we are running
into. As well as when an interface is down, but actually looks up to the
router, etc..it can be done, but there are so many possible points of
failure and unforseen scenarios, it is very difficult to construct and
certainly takes time to develop.

This is where having an excellent engineering staff pays off.  :-)

- paul