nanog mailing list archives

Re: Withdrawls and announcements attempt 2

From: Yakov Rekhter <yakov () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 96 10:34:12 PDT

Curtis,

Keeping track of the state of who got announced what is likely
to be a very very very bad idea for busy BGP talkers carrying
today's amount of NLRI and instability.

There are some hacks around the simplistic "if it's in my RIB,
I have to propagate withdrawals to all my neighbours" for some
cases, but a more comprehensive fix would require some Thinking.

This should probably get migrated over to the BGP list.

    Sean.

Its a solved problem, solved in gated more than 2 years ago.  Dennis
did some real good work in that area.  No need to continue on any
list.

Please note that propagating withdrawals to all neighbors is
*not* the problem we are trying to solve now, as such propagation
accounts for only a small fraction of the total withdraws (see attached).

In fact, we've yet to see any empirical evidences that propagating
withdrawals to all neighbors is a problem.

Now could we return (perhaps on the BGP list) to the discussion
about the *real* issue we need to solve - ~5*10^6 daily withdraws.

Yakov.

 -- using template mhl.format --