nanog mailing list archives

Re: Sprint's route filters and Europe

From: "Brian Carpenter CERN-CN" <brian () dxcoms cern ch>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 13:59:59 +0200 (MET DST)

      4) you can't charge for addresses because they're just
         numbers and have no value (tell that to the US Treasury)
P.S. So which rathole are we going to go down this time?  30 quatloos
on rathole #4 (it's my favorite 'cause it's so silly (Hi Brian!)).

Well, since you ask...

My view is still that charging for routing announcements is
necessary and sufficient - but as I've said before, I think
that registries should charge for their *services*, and
allocating an address block is a service. So I don't think
we're that far apart. See you in Montreal.

  Brian