nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ping flooding (fwd)

From: "Daniel W. McRobb" <dwm () ans net>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 1996 21:23:01 EDT

'tis also very important to know the route taken for a net when
analyzing the data.  Discrepancies here can be huge and completely
invalidate any conclusions you might make about how much traffic is
traversing a given path.

For this we like combined interface stats; AS-based traffic matrices
are (from our point of view) mostly useful for end-to-end measurements.

Forgot to answer this one point...

Combined interface stats aren't very useful for a scenario we commonly
entertain: what will happen if I move Big Customer A's ingress to ANSnet
from ANS border router X to ANS border router Y?  I need to know who
they're talking to in order to answer that question.  Typically large
portions of the ANS mesh will be affected, and I need to know how.

Daniel
~~~~~~