nanog mailing list archives

Re: Building exchanges that matter ..

From: "Joe Rhett" <joe () Navigist Com>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 02:53:11 -0800 (PST)

Very fast ethernets are designed with two modes, standard
a standard CSMA/CD bus and a full-duplex collision-free mode.
        [ .. your lesson on basic networking deleted .. ]
ATM since one is stuck playing with forwarding based on
only one address space.

Yah, I'm familiar with all this. I'm sitting behind one of those
"Bad Notworks" boxes right now, actually.

I'm not sure what flexibility you're referring to wrt ATM
vs very fast ethernets, however the latter in combination
with software in one particular modern router that isn't
completely rocket-science can spoof rate-limited VCs
based on MAC addresses, which more-or-less duplicates
the one feature of ATM that I happen to like.

Uh.. I'm not sure what you're asking, because I suspect the answer
I'm about to give you'd have already considered, no?

Ethernet -> Flat. Creating true architectural redundancy isn't possible
without separate routes for each connection. Also, even full duplex
Ethernet never achieves full bandwidth utilization due to the protocol
implementation (hardware protocol).

Advantage: All vendors support it, and is usually works without help.

ATM -> Flat/Star/Web/whatever. You can create both bandwidth and
redundancy without routing.

Disadvantage: Every vendor supports it differently, and most of them
only have 2 people that really know it. Never works without help.
Also, congestion control between hetrogenous systems is a no-op.