nanog mailing list archives

Re: Keepalives, WAS: NAP/ISP Saturation

From: "William Allen Simpson" <wsimpson () greendragon com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 96 00:37:02 GMT

From: Vadim Antonov <avg () pluris com>
William Allen Simpson <wsimpson () greendragon com> wrote:
So, since we designed PPP LQM for the 56K, T1 and (new) T3s of 5-6
years ago (at least a generation in Internet lifetimes), why isn't
everyone already running it?

Because Morning Star is not cisco?  (I'm well aware of PPP features,
btw, having written one implementation myself :)

I do not understand this rationale.  Could you please elaborate?

Are you saying that the reason we are not using ubiquitous LQM is
because Cisco decided as a company policy not to interoperate with other
vendors?

BTW, I have never worked for Morning Star in any paid capacity; or I'd
be a millionare today :-).  I just have an email address there, as I do
at several other sites, both commercial and non-commercial.

WSimpson () UMich edu
BSimpson () MorningStar com