nanog mailing list archives

Re: Routing table growth

From: Per Gregers Bilse <bilse () EU net>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 21:31:31 +0200

On Apr 3, 22:58, Andrew Partan <asp () partan com> wrote:
Subject: Routing table growth
We are starting to get reports from some of our (multihomed)
customers that full routing tables will no longer fit in 32Meg
routers.

How many others are seeing this?

Yes ... we will be replacing most 32M routers.  With 34k routes
there's ~10M left in a 32M router, but this can turn into a squeeze
when it's sending lots of updates to many peers.  I've seen up to
several hundred packets queued for each peer.  So, for instance, 400
packets * 1500(?) bytes = 600kbytes per peer.  With few peers, no
problem; with more than a dozen, it's getting close to a no-go.

--
------ ___                        --- Per G. Bilse, Mgr Network Operations Ctr
----- /     /  /   __   ___  _/_ ---- EUnet Communications Services B.V.