nanog mailing list archives

Re: Peering Policies and Route Servers

From: Nathan Stratton <nathan () netrail net>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 23:59:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, M. Christopher Davies wrote:

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, Nathan Stratton wrote:
On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, Ali Marashi wrote:
(2) Could anyone share opinions/facts regarding why organizations may or
may not exchange routes via the Route Servers rather than direct peering
relationships at the NAPs?

Well, because say that Sprint and MCI would peer, a provider would only
just stay at one NAP. That provider could then sell large dedicated
connections and in a way do it on Sprint's and MCI's network. I think they
they are trying to keep a lot of startups like me from growing and being a
large competitor.

I think you've completely missed the boat on 1) what it means to peer,
and 2) why one would peer with you.

The idea (and I may be wrong here) that the big 6 may or may not choose
to peer with you is because they have no contract to provide TRANSIT for
your packets, but will gladly accept your packets for MCI or Sprint
connected sites.  The idea behind peering is that it is a shared dropoff
point, but not a free transit to wherever on the net you want to go.

No I think you are vary wrong, I know what it is to peer, and I am not
askign for TRANSIT. Sprint and MCi will nto PEER unless you are at 3 NAPS.

If you peer, it is expected that you will not utilize MCI's (as an
example) network to talk to a non-MCI connected site on the other side of

No kiding.

That, I believe, is the reason that people don't peer as readily as you
want them to.

You have no idea.

Nathan Stratton           CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Tracking the future today!
Phone   (703)524-4800                          NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite 5
Email   sales () netrail net                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."               Matthew 6:34