nanog mailing list archives

Re: the Internet Backbone

From: Paul Ferguson <pferguso () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 1996 19:39:50 -0500

At 03:34 PM 4/5/96 +0800, Vadim Antonov wrote:

Paul A Vixie <paul () vix com> wrote:

Last time this term came up, I opined that there was no "backbone" any more
and that 1996's Internet had a "hairball topology."  Vadim, among others,
disagreed with me but we didn't pursue the topic.  Perhaps we should have.

Well, "backbone" is too vague.  I rather prefer to think of Internet
topology as of "tiers".  The nodes in upper-levels cast "cones of
influence" in lower tiers.  Nodes from lower tiers belonging to
different cones of influence do not generally speak to each other,
and so have to purchase transit from higher tiers.

Well, I kind of liked the term 'blobs' [credit to Jerry Scharf].  :-)

- paul