nanog mailing list archives

Re: Other flapping prefixes. Compare and contrast.

From: kwe () 6SigmaNets com (Kent W. England)
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 11:01:13 -0800

At 7:40 AM 9/11/95, Hans-Werner Braun wrote:

Well, while Sean's wording at times is, ahem, suboptimal, he is
referring to a real problem in the Internet System, and in fact one
that the North American Network Operators Group should take
responsibility for, at least for the North American part. The problem
is what others believe is a strength: an anarchic system of many
autonomous service providers with little or no service model/metrics
(neither for the local nor for the system level), and no well defined
rules of conduct for interoperation and problem resolution.

H-W;

There was once, and still technically may be, the "User Connectivity
Problems" (UCP) working group in the IETF Ops area that began a process for
coordination among the then regional NSFnet network's NOCs back in '90 or
so.

Much of the work accomplished by UCP on developing process for NOC-to-NOC
coordination is still valid, but the players have increased in number and
are re-inventing this wheel.

So, the Internet anarchy has been under attack for some time now. If there
is any interest (I know, hacking the configs is #1, formal coordination and
documentation are a distant #2) I'll go look up some of the documents.

--Kent