nanog mailing list archives

Re: Peering problem with NSP

From: Nathan Stratton <nathan () netrail net>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 17:25:21 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 30 Oct 1995, Matt Harrop wrote:

        In a few months, the network I operate is going to become
multi-homed.  I've just ordered the T1 from SprintLink and I know that
they'll have no problem with BGP4 peering, or with the fact that I'll be
multi-homed.  My problem is with my existing NSP; fONOROLA.  When I
informed that that I would be going multi-homed, and asked them about
peering this was their answer:

Due to our high level of interconnectivity, we carry over 6k routes on our
backbone. Not all will be available to you. We can only assure you that direct
connect routes will be offered, namely AS2493 & AS812. Transit ASes cannot be
provided to you at this time on a guarenteed basis.  If you use us as
default, this is not a problem, but I suspect you will not. We have direct
connectivity to CA*net, Rogers, UUNET, WorldLinx, MCI, ANS, and
cannot, at this time, ensure that all routes land on you. This kind of
routing transit service is not really intended as our usual service
offering, and it has a strong impact on our backbone design.

Is this in any way reasonable?  fONOROLA's primary connections to the rest
of the world are MCI and ANS.  If they can't provide transit to MCI and
ANS, they are essentialy useless to me.  Of perticular interest to me is
their last statement.  Would this actualy have a "strong impact" on their
backbone?

Ya, drop them, they just don't want to do it.

Nathan Stratton           CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Your Gateway to the World!
Phone   (703)524-4800                          NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite 5
Email   sales () netrail net                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest