nanog mailing list archives

Re: CIDR Aggregation Tool

From: Cengiz Alaettinoglu <cengiz () ISI EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 09:33:33 -0800

Curtis Villamizar (curtis () ans net) on November 27:
[lots deleted]
Another way of estimating what can be aggregated is by determining
from how many places all of the components of an aggregate could be
heard in all backup situations.  In some cases it might be reasonable
to drop some degree of alternate connectivity (fourth or fifth
preferred paths) and allow a number of holes (specifically aggregated
components).  In principle this could be done algorithmically using
the IRR.  In practice, you need to check with some of the parties
involved to make sure registered information (particialrly aut-num AS
peerings) are accurate beforehand.

Using the IRR you (or we) can select candidates for aggregation and
then make sure the aggregation can really be asfely done.  This is a
little different in than you estimate in that it the viewpoint is what
can we aggregate, rather than what might we see better aggregated in
the future.  The bgp paths at major interconnects could form a useful
sanity check, making sure that AS paths do not conflict with IRR AS
peering information for any candidate for aggregation.
[lots deleted]

Actually we are working on such a tool, that we call CIDR assistant. A
pre-alpha release of this tool will be available before/during the
IETF, and there will be a discussion of this tool in the RPS wg.

This tool considers the topology and the policies registered in the
IRR before suggesting potential aggregations. The amount of
policy/topology that is considered is configurable.

Cengiz

--
Cengiz Alaettinoglu       Information Sciences Institute
(310) 822-1511            University of Southern California