nanog mailing list archives

Re: US Domain -- County Delegations

From: Mark Christopher Davies <mcd () 24hour abs net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1995 14:26:18 -0400 (EDT)

We are planning to delegate every county name as a locality name in each
State.  For example, "Ventura.CA.US", "Dade.FL.US", "Riverside.CA.US".

We are looking for volunteers to support the domain name registration and
provision of name servers for these county domains.  If you are interested
in providing this service please return the template below. For further
information about the US Domain please see RFC 1480.

Each state Department of Motor Vehicles maintains a two or three
character representation of the county names for display on driver's
licenses.  To shorten the overall address of the geographic domain, would
it be easier to utilize this code rather than a full name?

If I understand what is proposed, Johnson Systems would become

johnson.baltimore.baltimore.md.us

rather than johnson.baltimore.ba.md.us (under the current naming system)

Chris Davies, ABSnet Internet Services  eMail: mcd () abs net
Baltimore, MD   http://www.abs.net      voice: 410/361-8160