nanog mailing list archives

Re: Sprint Service Problems

From: Justin Newton <justin () rainbow dgsys com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 16:13:45 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 19 Dec 1995, Melise wrote:

Mr. Lewis,

If you are a Sprint customer and are not calling these service lapses to their
Network Management Center's attention, you are not giving them the opporturnity
to serve you properly.

Escalate the problem.

Well, when you call and you get some brand new temp (who sometimes I
actually know irl and they can barely /spell/ computer) who says, "Uhm,
we aren't having a problem".  You then explain the problem to them and
they go "Routing loop?" at which point you explain what a routing loop is
so that they can write an intelligible trouble ticket, at which point you
get in a queue where you get a call back by someone who at least know
that Cisco makes routers an hour later, well, it doesn't inspire
confidence (It does, however, inspire run on sentences).  I stopped
calling in anything except the most major of problems months ago (It was
pointless, nothing got fixed unless I stayed on the phone long enough to
actually teach the people what a router was, how the internet worked and
then got ecalated, after about the third escalation I would get someone
reasonably competent and they would fix it in ten seconds.  I let someone
else waste their time in the hold queue now.)  Yes, I have bad feelings
towards sprint.  When they make a backbone that works then they should
come back to the internet.  As seen in sig files everywhere, "The
internet was built to survive a nuclear strike?  It can't even survive
Sprint."

respectfully,

Melise Jones
Sustaining Engineer