nanog mailing list archives

Re: CIDR FAQ

From: Nicolas Williams <nmw () news ios com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 20:00:16 -0400 (EDT)

Tony Li previously wrote:

  The original post was about making time at the Pittsburg NANOG meeting
  to talk about solutions to the problem of some exchange routers seeing
  tens of thousands (even 100x) paths. The size of a full-Internet route
  table is growing (albeit more slowly than it used to), the number of
  ASes meeting at the various NAPs and MAEs is increasing, etc. Will the
  number of paths heard by some routers at the XPs ever be so large that
  they don't fit in the 7000 or 4500m's 64MB of RAM? Possibly (IMHO,
  likely). What then? Use lots of filtering to keep the number of paths
  heard down and lose flexibility?

Then I ask you to sign a nondisclosure agreement.  ;-)

Oh, then the whole argument is for naught. :)

We've actually been very good (some say too good) about adding
features.

Yes, Cisco is very good about adding software features and even about
allowing its customers to beta test software.

Tony

Nick