nanog mailing list archives

Re: Comments

From: "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie () alter net>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 1994 18:54:12 -0400

As stated in my earlier note, NSF's goal is to obtain NAP
functionality.  This functionality is technology independent.  The
whole purpose of the note was to point out that the desired
functionality can be met by taking advantage of an existing facility.

But it really is differnt than a NAP.  There is policy stuff stuck to
a "NAP".  MAE-East has no requirement for traffic statistics reporting
to the NSF on a periodic basis.  Do we want them to?  I don't know;
personally, I don't think its their business.  I don't want to have
MFS have to do this sort of stuff.

Thus, an ISP who wanted to check off that they were meeting the NAP
functionality that NSF was requesting could do so by saying they were
doing so in part by being connected to MAE-east.  This is the clear
gain that you were asking for: simplification for some of the ISPs.

Sorry, I still don't get it.  How is this simpler for *me*.  I don't
have a compelling need to "check-off" anything.  I don't see how this
simpler for any of the existing MAE-East participants, either.

Since it appears the act of putting a NAP label on MAE-east does not
seem to have an impact on the functioning of MAE-east, is there any
reason not to do so?

Shall we just get down to it: it's as much an emotinal issue as
anything.  MAE-East was built almost in spite of the the existing
ANS/NSFNET NSF-sponsored network.  Any now they want to come along to
a facility which "we" built already, which has been a popular success
and model of inter-ISP cooperation and burden it with this government
label which none of us seeks.  And then hold it up as a successful
implementation of the network architecture proposed by the NSF; it
would be a farce.

NSF threw a party in Washington DC called the NAP, and nobody came.
Please let us be.  The reason not label it a NAP is because some of us
just don't WANT you to.  It's our party.

If other MAE-East party-goers, er, particpants have a different opinion,
I'd be happy to hear it.

Peter, at this point you probably should post a polite note to the
mae-east mailing list to see what other think about this harmless idea
of yours; I don't know how many of them are on this list.

Louis A. Mamakos                              louie () alter net
Backbone Architecture & Engineering Guy       uunet!louie
AlterNet / UUNET Technologies, Inc.
3110 Fairview Park Drive., Suite 570          Voice: +1 703 204 8023
Falls Church, Va 22042                        Fax:   +1 703 204 8001