nanog mailing list archives

Re: your mail

From: poole () eunet ch (Simon Poole)
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 1994 19:37:54 +0200 (MET DST)

If NSF were to waive the NSFNET Backbone Service AUP **for the sole
purpose of assisting providers in effective CIDRization/aggregation to
avoid Internet collapse**, would that be of any help?

I have alerted the NSF Counsel to this possibility, and they are of
course concerned that everyone will cancel their current commercial
contracts, switch their traffic to NSFNET, and hurl all the private
providers into bankruptcy.

I should welcome your comments; if you support the idea (the waiver, not
hurtling into ruin), I may also enlist your help convincing Counsel and
the IG.

I see no reason to waiver the AUP. Essentially adherence to the AUP
has been based on an honor system up to now, and I don't see any reason
why this should change. What would make sense is to:

        - have all interested service providers sign a (formal?) agreement
          that they will inform their customers of the restrictions on
          usage of the NSFnet backbone service (possibly adding an explicit
          pointer  to the AUP in their contracts).

        - do away with the PRDB / NACR's.

I really don't see how this would significantly change the current
situation (expect that we would all have less work).

Simon Poole