Metasploit mailing list archives

kind of off topic but not much -- Windows XP connects to mail server before logging in MBR exploit?

From: Chip <jeffschips () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 12:53:35 -0400

I know this is not entirely along the lines of metasploit but knowing that almost all who subscribe to this list are network gurus I thought I would post my question here -- it may, in fact, have something to do with an exploit affecting the MBR of a host machine.

I have a windows xp machine which connects to a mail server with encrypted traffic before anyone logs in, right after start up and when the windows xp login splash screen comes up. I know this is the case because I attached an inline tap to the network to watch traffic and see this activity every time the machine starts up.

Reading a lot recently about MBR exploits I'm wondering how I can track down what culprit is doing this? Since it occurs ONLY prior to login, I cannot look at tasklist or netstat in a shell and see anything. I'm hoping someone on this list could advise either in the list or off the list.

I do have some captured packets of the activity, but it is encrypted TLS traffic.

Thank you.