Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: Password Audit

From: Rob Fuller <mubix () room362 com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 11:24:50 -0500

This really should be one of those few times to go outside of
Metasploit. The SMBLogin module, depending on how many passwords you
try and the threshold you set it may lock out the users.

Depending on what passwords you are trying to audit, dump the hashes
and crack them offline. Let John rip through all the dictionaries that
are stored on SkullSecurity [1], and then let John rip in just brute
force mode for about 24 hours. The result of both of those should get
you to an awesome baseline.

[1] http://www.skullsecurity.org/wiki/index.php/Passwords

--
Rob Fuller | Mubix