Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: ms08-067 and Windows XP x64 English SP2 target

From: HD Moore <hdm () metasploit com>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 12:04:53 -0600

On 11/13/2010 5:42 AM, Florian Roth wrote:

I have been recently confronted with a Windows XP 64bit system showing
several newer vulnerabilities like the MS08-067 Server Service problem
and a more recent DoS vulnerability.

It tried to exploit the vulnerability and noticed that there was no
target specification for any kind of 64bit system at all.

Is 64bit as target system completely out of scope regarding the ms08-067
module?

Ist there a way to figure out the memory location that needs to be
patched for successful exploitation? (a plain description, a tutorial or
hints)

Its usually more complicated than this, often the 64-bit version of the
vulnerable code is not exploitable, requires a different structure to
exploit, or depends on ROP techniques. With that said, I only have
sparse experience with exploiting 64-bit bugs on Windows, maybe someone
else on the list has done more work around this specific bug.

-HD